What We Believe Concerning Biblical Water Baptism:
We believe that all of God’s people are to be buried with our Lord Jesus Christ in the waters of baptism, following their conversion experience. We declare that any water baptism prior to a salvation experience of receiving the Lord Jesus Christ as Savior is an unbiblical religious activity and carries no spiritual significance. Baptism in water is by immersion only, is a direct commandment of our Lord, and is for believers only. Water baptism is an ordinance, meaning a command to be followed and is not a sacrament meaning that it does not carry any saving qualities. Water baptism buries old Adam and the Adamic nature and is a symbol of the Christian’s identification with Christ in His death, burial, and resurrection. We believe that water baptism is the obedient response to the command of the Lord.
1. Baptism is a command. Everyone who confesses Christ should be baptized.
2. The English word "baptism" comes from the Greek words “bap'to” which means to overwhelm with water and "bap'tiz'o" which means to fully overwhelm or make fully wet.
3. Baptism represents a burial of the old way of life and mindset.
4. Baptism is not a prerequisite to salvation.
5. It is an unbiblical religious activity to baptize infants and to baptize those who have not been saved.
6. Baptism is to be participated in when the concept it represents can be fully understood by the participant.
7. We baptize in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit in accordance with the Scriptural record.
Confirming Scriptures: Matthew 28:19; Acts 2:38; 8:36-39; 19:1-6; Romans 6:4; Colossians 2:12